Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Decent Pair of Socks


This is the first decent pair of socks I have made....ever!  I've tried so many patterns, I can't tell you.  Maybe it's me....maybe I'm reading the pattern wrong....maybe I've picked the wrong yarn...maybe I ate something  bad!  Ok, maybe not that last one.  I finally found a great pattern!  Whipped up in Knit Picks Wild West yarn and size 2 needles produced this lovely pair.  However, the yarn is not very cushy, so, if you're like me and don't like to wear shoes around the house, these are not practical.

 Fiesta Baby Boom in Coyote delivered some cushy goodness and in colors I like....grey, black, cream and brown.

 The above and below are Fiesta Baby Boom in Harlequin.  You might remember my post using this yarn for Karen's Carnival Baktus Scarf, below.  Look how different the colors look depending on knitting in stockinette or garter stitch and dye lots.


 Knit Circus' Pixie Dust Fingering in Robin's Egg have a bit of twinkling goodness in them.  Gorgeous color and squishy soft!
Knit Picks Stroll Fingering in Frosting are a gift for one of my besties.  Her signature color is pink and she will love these.

Now, about the pattern.  Don't ask me why it took so long to get it out as I've had it for quite sometime!  It belongs to Susan B. Anderson.  I adore her and have all her books.  She has this easy way about her.  You'd want her as a sister, neighbor or best friend.  If you watch her teaching, she is relaxing and mesmerizing at the same time.  Patient and thoughtful in her delivery.  Her patterns are the same way.  Technically, beautifully written, but with that element that she is speaking to you from the page.  In this pattern, she makes it so easy to understand the dreaded turning of the heel!
The pattern is free.  Just pop over to her Rav page or blog.  
I'm working on her mitten pattern and will have a future post about that.  Another great and easy pattern.

Best,
Sheila
Yarn tip:  
If you have trouble getting started knitting socks in the round on those small needles, here's what I do.....work the 2 x 2 ribbed cuff back and forth on 2 of the double point needles leaving a tail long enough to sew it up when the sock is finished.  After you complete the cuff, start knitting in the round with the remaining needles.
Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Pretty socks :) I prefer knitting mine toe up using Judy's Magic Cast on and a gusset heel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Evelyn. I'll dig out my patterns using that method, as I KNOW I have one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely socks! I am working on a pair right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in sock love! I love that shawl too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, I've been looking into expanding my creativity. I feel like I have so much spare time on my hands and would love to save money! The scarf on here is so unique and I feel like it wouldn't be to hard to make I'm going to have to look more into these patterns. Maybe even make a scarf to go with it. http://www.adex-intl.com/?page_id=6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! The scarf is one of my favorite patterns with the most gorgeous yarn! Be sure to try it out as it's so simple with spectacular results.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...